Monday, November 16, 2009

Rodrigo Toscano Post

I think that I've come to a place where I can appreciate poetry readings/performance art and believe that it has a place - an important place - in our society and communities, however it is still not my cup of tea, so to speak. I was sitting on the floor for the entire reading and couldn't see the stage, so I have to go by what I heard as opposed to what I saw. I suspect that this is why the second piece was completely lost on me. The only thing from that piece that I remember was, "Your old God is dead, asshole." That probably says a lot about me and what I find memorable and/or amusing.

I liked the recorded version of "Balm Bilk" than the one we saw. Without the music behind, it just felt vastly different as far as tone and style went. Again, it might be my biased dislike for poetry readings that makes me wonder, "Who *is* this guy and why does he get to command performance space and performers to read his work??" Then again, he commands it because he just does. He has the nerve and the determination to get his stuff out there for other people to listen to and decide if they like it.

But then again, if the words on the page don't jump out at people, in 100 years, it's not going to matter how you performed them last week. I want to know what he wants us to pay attention to: the words or how he says the words?

No comments:

Post a Comment