"What time do you have to be home?"
"I promised I'd be back by 7. We still have a lot of packing to do and we have to drop off the cats tomorrow. Si I need toleave by 5. It's about two hours back to Lorrain from here."
"You aren't taking them?"
"Nope. "
"Why? Did Miami ban all cat ownership? Does Florida not allow new cats?"
"No. Travelling with cats is too hard."
"Typical."
"What?"
"Typical."
"Of what?"
"Of you. This is typical of you."
"Me? Why?"
"Did you make the decision or Margie?"
"Me."
"See? Typical Chris behavior. Take the easier way instead of the way that might mean a little more work."
"..."
"..."
"Ohhhkaaay. How is taking the easy way out typical for me?"
"Why did you get married?"
"Because it was next."
"Did you want to get married?"
"Yeah. It was next."
"Did you want to marry Margie? Did you want it to be the Chris and Margie show for 50 years?"
"Sure, why not?"
"Because from everything you've told me about her and your relationship, she doesn't respect you or your marriage. In fact, you even told me that you felt like she doesn't even like you."
"But she's been different since we started planning this move."
"Good. I hope it lasts."
"But you don't think it will?"
"I don't think that changing your geography is going to solve the fundamental problems in your marriage. I think that one of those problems is, in fact, me."
"Picked up on that, did you?"
"I'm not an idiot, Chris. She knows about our past and she has to know that we spend up to 5 hours a day on the phone with each other. You lied to her so you could meet me here to say 'Goodbye'. Yeah, I picked up on it."
"What do we do?"
"We stop. We step back. We each let our marriages work or fail on their own, without outside forces influencing us or our feelings or our actions."
"How am I supposed to go from five hours a day talking to you to no talking to you?"
"One hour, day, or week at a time. Kind of like quitting smoking."
"Neither of us have quit smoking."
"I know."
"We are totally sitting in the smoking section here."
"I know."
"..."
"..."
"I love you, Jen."
"I love you, too Chris."
"Thanks. For everything."
"You're welcome."
"See you in another few years?"
"I hope so."
"Talk to you tomorrow?"
"I'll call you tonight."
"Okay."
"Bye."
Monday, November 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment