Three points of interest from the poetry packet:
Parade:
Parades are times of excitement, fun, and celebration. I wonder if this poem was written about a seperate holiday parade during the time of segregation. If so, the parade is still a celebration of race, a celebration of things to come, and marching towards freedom.
Gray Room:
The phrase "pale white gown" popped out at me before I read the rest of the poem. That, combined with the fretting and furious beating of the heart makes me wonder what she's nervous about? First sexual encounter? Maybe a wedding night or a new affair? Maybe even just a reuniting with a long time lover. I knw that when I'm nervous and in a room by myself, I tend to notice all of the small details around me - the bruststrokes of a painting, the accessories places around a room, how they work. The nervousness of the subject really spoke to me.
How Light is Spent:
"Light" in the title is not just relating to the lightof day or of artificial light, but the light that actually makes all sight possible. The fourth stanza of the poem "The vanity of the blind..." was something that hit me. Vanity is usually associated with what the self and others see. Naturally if you have no sight, you can't see or judge people based on their appearance.
Sunday, November 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment